all the ghost and goblins trick or treating this Halloween I noticed
many of them wearing a chemical reaction around their necks. That
chemical reaction is a lightstick.
the lightstick contains two liquids that when mixed energy is released
in the form of light. This light is called chemiluminescence. Liquid 1
contains diphenyl oxalate containing a fluorescent dye and the liquid 2
contains a solution of hydrogen peroxide. The color of the fluorescent
dye is what provides the different colors of light emitted.
As a safety note:
the chemicals in the lightsticks are irritants, not
When the two liquids mix a chemical reaction takes place that excites
the electrons in the fluorescent dye. The behavior of these excited
electrons is what releases energy in the form of light.
poisons. Therefore if kids do have contact with the liquids they are to
rinse thoroughly with water. If ingested it's important to rinse as much
out as possible and follow up with
poison control just for precautionary measure. As with all chemicals,
adult supervision is a must. Proper clothing and eye protection will
assist to minimize harmful exposure.